9/29/2011

Motorola Droid Bionic Rules

I've had my Droid Bionic now for just under a month, and overall, I am very impressed by it. Some technical specifications that make it special right now on Verizon:
  • Dual Core 1 Ghz Processors
  • 4.3 inch qHD (960 x 540) PenTile Display with Gorilla Glass
  • 4G LTE
  • Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)
It took more than two weeks of running the phone before I was even able to lock it up and did my first battery pull. That was because I had threads out of control on the application I was developing and was trying to power off. The second time I pulled the battery because I was listening to Amazon on my device, and started NFL Mobile. Everything was working fine, NFL Mobile was playing, but refused to stop!

The other weird thing that I noticed about the device was that it would go to sleep while you were on a phone call. If I was using either the speaker or bluetooth, and let the display timeout, then it would not wake up to the touch. If I touched the power button, then the call was terminated. I found two solutions to this problem. At first, I would just plug the device in, and it would wake up to the lock screen. Then, I found an app called Screeble that would wake the phone up for me by properly detecting my proximity.

While Motorola has been careful to use things like the more energy efficient and brighter qHD RGBW PenTile display, the device still consumes the battery heavily while downloading data over 4G LTE. Fortunately, there is a Preference for disabling 4G and using 3G only. This can be especially helpful if you are just on the fringe of 4G coverage. If the device keeps switching back and forth from 4G to 3G, and you are using data, I have seen it go from 100% to 40% battery in just about an hour.

Finally, let me say some things about 4G. It can be great! While waiting for luggage, I watched NFL Mobile without any problems at the Denver International Airport. I noticed that the clarity is better on 4G than on 3G. That's the good part. The bad part is that 4G is available in limited areas, and as mentioned before, if you are on the fringe it can be better to just turn off 4G, or else your battery will get wasted. Some Bionics are apparently having trouble keeping a 4G connection. At first, this did not seem to affect me. Though lately, I've noticed the phone dropping to 3G while I am in a 4G area. Sometimes toggling airplane mode will get it to go 4G, other times, I have to reboot to get 4G working.

For a long list of other Motorola Droid Bionic bugs, check this website: Bionic Bug Fix Update Coming in November. Just stumbled upon an unadvertised feature of the Bionic. It has a FM Radio tuner like the Droid 3. You can read more about and install the apk from this site: Droid Bionic FM Radio. I personally tested it and it works.

No comments:

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.