1/29/2011

Adobe Flash Player 10.1 64 bit for Red Hat Enterprise LInux 6 / Fedora 14

Recently I've upgraded both my laptop and desktop to 64 bit. I wanted to share how I got Fedora 14 working on my laptop and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 working on my desktop with Adobe Flash Player 10.1.

On both distributions, I found the same solution for how to get Adobe Flash Player worked. It was not installing an rpm file or setting up a yum repositority. Instead, I downloaded http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz from the http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html page. Adobe's download links lead me in circles when I first tried to get this working, but I finally searched their site and found this page to download the plugin.

To get Firefox to work, I extracted the downloaded file libflashplayer.so to each user's home: ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. For Google Chrome 64 bit to work with Adobe Flash, I had to create a /opt/google/plugins directory and then copy the extracted libflashplayer.so file into it. Remember to close all browser windows, and restart the browser for the plugin to take effect.

I resisted going to 64 bit Linux up until recently for this very reason: support for getting common things to work in 64 bit Linux lags, at least as of the end of January 2011.

2 comments:

Unix Geek said...

Thanks, It worked for me! :)

Keith Wright said...

Adobe has released a newer version. This can be found at: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html. You still need to put the libflashplayer.so in the same directories for it to work.

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.