1/29/2011

Adobe Acrobat Reader 64 bit for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

I just got Adobe Acrobat Reader 64 bit for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 working, and it wasn't too easy. First, I downloaded a binary from http://get.adobe.com/reader/. I made it executable and ran it, but the program wouldn't launch.

Using 'strace -e open acroread', I could see it was trying to open a libxml2.so.2, but it wasn't seeing the one on my system under /usr/lib64. Doing a 'yum list libxml2\*', I could see there was also a libxml2.i686 that wasn't installed yet. After doing 'yum install libxml2.i686', the program started up a little further, but then complained about another missing library. More searching led me to do 'yum install gtk2-2.18.9-4.el6.i686'. At last, the Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.4 ran successfully.

3 comments:

Keith Wright said...

And then after I got fully activated on the Red Hat Network, I found that they have the flash-plugin in the Supplementary channel...

lauren said...

Very informative blog about Adobe Acrobat Reader 64 bit for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.I just got Adobe Acrobat Reader the Red Hat Network, I found that they have the flash-plugin in the Supplementary channel.I totally agree with you about this information.Can you share some more links related to this information.It will really be helpful and informative blog.Thanks for writing.
digital signatures

RPS said...

While Adobe gives you the .bin file by default, another approach is to download the .rpm file instead. At the site referenced above, click "Do you have a different language or operating system?" Then select the rpm file and download it. In a terminal window, with privileges, type "yum install [name of file].rpm". Yum will automatically find the missing pieces. In my case, it installed 34(!) additional packages.

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.