11/04/2010

LG Ally ROM Update

I'm starting an update to my girlfriend's LG Ally tonight. My goal is to install a faster and more functional ROM. Apparently, there are other things to update, as well, kernels and a radio. Thanks to http://savoxis.com/ally/ I've got all the information I need in one place! Awesomeness at my fingertips, yeah!

Before beginning, I'm doing a Titanium backup of all the applications. I also used ROM Manager backup the current stock rooted ROM.

To gauge performance, I ran Quadrant Standard several times with these results: 409, 410, and 380. I also ran Linpack for Android several times with the results: 3.587, 4.172, and 4.016 MFLOPS. It took more than 30 seconds to run each time!

I don't know why, I never ran into the problem on my Droid Incredible, but her browser does not want to download the zip files. So, I searched and found out about Astro, which allows for Android to download unknown file types, and works great as a file manager. That's what I have on my phone!

Using ROM Manager, I chose to Install from SD Card, and selected the downloaded Velocity 0.3 ROM. I prompted me to backup my current ROM (which I already did), and to wipe the phone. To be safe, I chose to do both. After only about few minutes the install was done, and it took several minutes than longer to boot, but success! Since she trusts me so much, she gave me her password and I got her phone back on Google and back to normal by using Titanium Backup to restore the missing applications back to the phone.

Now, the testing begins. I'm going to first of all take the stock kernel out for a spin again. Quadrant scrores: 404, 393, 394. Not too impressive, or just about the same. And for the Linpack scores: 3.938, 4.045, and 4.039 MFLOPS. Again, about the same, so what's next?

Next, I am going to take the big risk of upgrading the radio. She has had reception problems, especially in our house, so this might help fix that, and maybe even improve texting functionality as well. Let's see, it looks official and a few build numbers ahead, yeah, I'm going to do it.

So, using Clockwork Recovery, started from ROM Manager, reboot into recovery, I will now install the zip file for the radio update. I need to remember to navigate up and down the menu with the up and down volume buttons, and to use the call button to select. When the back button is "activated", then I need to use the end call button to go back.

Whew! After rebooting, text message sent and received, call made and rang! Radio update doesn't look too bad.

Now, for a kernel update. First, I'm trying what is best, and will give up, if it is better. So, the runs on Quadrant I got 444, 453, and 460. The Linpack results were 6.869, 6.892, and 6.928 MFLOPS. Wow, both of these benchmarks show an impressive improvement!

I'm going to restore some of her settings for Browser Bookmarks, User Dictionary, and Alarms. Look for green things to restore in Titanium Backup for user files like this. Beware, it can break these applications, but just remove and restore the app without the user file if it happens.

Cool! All is good, so time to back it up all again! Repeat Titanium Backup and ROM Backup and I'm done. Oops, ROM Manager isn't doing the backup now after its update! So, doing a manual backup in recovery, and have to go back to see if I can restore an earlier version of ROM Manager...

Not good. Market is not working. All downloads fail. Time to troubleshoot. Uh oh, the "adb devices" shows ?????????????. lsusb command shows, 1004:618e next to the LG devices, or what vendor and model code to use in my udev rule. New rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1004", ATTRS{idProduct}=="618e", MODE="0666" SYMLINK+="android_adb".

Which I already had the rule for my Droid Incredible:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0c9e", MODE="0666" SYMLINK+="android_adb"

Now, adb logcat works. Trying to install from the Market shows insufficient internal storage as the error. Ok, so I removed several apps that were unnecessary (like my two benchmark apps, and NFL Mobile), and I try again with the same result. Checking about the phone in the settings shows over 50mb internal available, so something doesn't seem right.

Bright idea! Reboot into recovery mode, and wipe the cache. Sigh of relief! Apps are now installing from the market, and my girlfriend is almost home. Just time enough to backup this new ROM. The phone is noticeably faster, and everything works, so we are both happy!

11/01/2010

GPSMap Pro Android Monkey

Every night this week, and finally this weekend with the help of the Android Monkey, I feel like I squashed all the bugs in my application GPSMap, and put out a professional version: GPSMap Pro. I have added validation to all of the preferences, creating new placemarks, and updating placemarks.

If you get the Pro version, you get no advertising, an import from csv file feature, and highlighting the last selected placemark.

The Android Monkey helped me to make sure my application ran smooth. It allows you to exercise your application for a number of "events". I can be started to run 5000 events with a command like:

adb shell monkey -p com.appspot.wrightrocket.GPSMap -v 5000

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.