10/15/2010

Java Alternatives

Last night I decided to try to get App Inventor for Android to run on Fedora 14. Although Google only officially supports running App Inventor on Windows, OSX and Ubuntu, I wanted to give it a try.

The blocks editor was horribly slow using the IcedTea java that was installed by default, so I downloaded Java from Oracle and installed it. Then, I had to configure Fedora to use it with alternatives.

Here's how I installed it as an alternative to the IcedTea java:
alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/bin/java 120 \
--slave /usr/bin/keytool keytool /usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/bin/keytool \
--slave /usr/bin/rmiregistry rmiregistry /usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/bin/rmiregistry

Then, I configured Fedora to use it by selecting it using the command:
alternatives --config java

Wow, what a difference. Oracle's java was much faster and App Inventor for Android runs great on Fedora.

1 comment:

Keith Wright said...

This morning as I was posting this on my blog, I reviewed how to set up App Inventor for Android. I noticed that even though it was working, I had missed a step when it came to Google Chrome. Here's the steps that I did (as root) to enable Java for Google Chrome:

mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
ln -s /usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so .

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.