10/22/2010

I am an Android Developer! I can kill my Activity if I want!

This week I finally committed myself to publishing my GPSMap application on the Android Market, so I obtained my Android Developer's license. If you are interested in an application that will let you create Placemarks that you can save on a map, edit, or navigate to easily, then you might want to check out my website for it: http://wrightrocket.appspot.com/gpsmap.


I'm giving my applicaton away for free right now, but plan to add mobile advertising to the free version in the future. I'm also looking at adding the ability to plot your contacts on the map alongside of the Placemarks, as well as how to add proximity alerts in a paid version. Right now, I'm getting the motivation by having it public to work out all of the bugs, and to make it run more efficiently.


The nugget of knowledge that motivated me to make this post right now is that I finally found out how to really kill my Android Activity! Calling the finish() method was not doing the job, but I stumbled upon this extra addition after the call to the super in the onDestroy() method of the activity:



protected void onDestroy() {
super.onDestroy();
android.os.Process.killProcess(android.os.Process.myPid());
}

2 comments:

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

I like this post and i like your way of authoring. Keep posting such a kind of post on your blog. Thanks for the share.
Google android apps development| IPhone App Development|

Android app development said...

This is one of the good post.I like your blog details.This is one of the good post.Nice to read about your post.
Android app developers

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.