9/29/2010

Rawhide Reflections

As an earlier post indicated, I'm running Fedora 14 Alpha. When you use non-released versions of Fedora, you might be said to be running Rawhide. I won't say that I wasn't warned that things would break occasionally, but this morning it BAD! When glibc broke, then the system became unbootable.

Lucky for me, I've got a USB key with Fedora 14 Live on it. Also fortunate, the Fedora Project already had an update that fixed the problem. All I had to do was boot up the Live USB, and do a few simple commands to fix it:

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# mount /dev/mapper/vg_host-lv_root /mnt
# yum -y --installroot /mnt update glibc

The first command searched my internal hard drive for LVM Volume Groups.
The second command activated the volume group (vg_host) that it found.
The third command mounted the logical volume (lv_root) for my root filesystem under /mnt.
The fourth command actually fixed the problem: it told yum to update the broken package, but to install the update under /mnt, where my real root filesystem is located.

No comments:

About Me - WrightRocket

My photo

I've worked with computers for over 30 years, programming, administering, using and building them from scratch.

I'm an instructor for technical computer courses, an editor and developer of training manuals, and an Android developer.